Food Intolerance is more common than Food Allergy.
Food allergy is an IgE immune system response that is typically characterized by hives, shortness of breath, upset stomach and in some cases anaphylaxis. The most common food allergies are to nuts, shellfish, wheat and dairy. According to the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network, only about 4% of the United States population has a food allergy.
Food intolerance, on the other hand, is much more common than food allergies and is characterized by digestive disorders, migraines, obesity, chronic fatigue, aching joints, skin disorders and behavioral issues. It has been stated that upwards of 70-80% of the US population has food intolerance. Unfortunately for many, those food intolerance symptoms are often identified as individual problems and treated as such, thus treating the symptoms and not the cause.
The ALCAT Test from Cell Science Systems is now considered the, “gold standard” laboratory method for identification of non-IgE mediated reactions to foods, chemicals, and other substances.
- The Alcat Test is a laboratory method for identification of non-IgE mediated reactions to foods, chemical and other categories of substances.
- The Alcat Test frequently reveals clinically significant reactions that don’t fall within the conventional definition of allergy.
- Food intolerance is much more common than true food allergies. However, many people are unaware that they suffer from food intolerance because their symptoms may vary widely and often appear hours, or even days after the causative agent is consumed.
- Alcat Testing is based on the understanding that food intolerances arise from activation of cellular responses on the innate immune system. Instead of perceiving them as harmless, the immune system responds to specific foods and other substances as though they were threats requiring aggressive targeting, which, in fact, they may be.
- The Alcat Test has provided healthcare professionals and their patients with a tool for managing a wide variety of conditions linked to inflammation and chronic activation such as migraines, aching joints, fatigue, gastrointestinal disorders, eczema, hyperactivity, ADD, Asthma and even obesity.
The ALCAT Test does not detect Food Allergy.